Sunday, May 20, 2018

Washington DC: Day 1

In the spring of 2017, we decided as a family that we wanted to go to Washington DC. We had saved a little bit of money from selling paper airplanes, and figured out that if we could sell enough airplanes we would be able to go in the spring of 2018. And we did it!

We left home on Wednesday after school and work. Annie drove us most of the way to Spokane, where we stayed in the Peppertree Inn, right near the airport.

We hung out and watched a couple episodes of the Andy Griffith Show. We learned that six kids can all fit on a king sized bed. Luckily they didn't have to sleep like that!

We woke up at 2:45am so that we could take the hotel's 3:30 shuttle to the airport.

Our flight left Spokane at 5:45... 

...and landed just after 8:30 in Denver. It was kind of fun to walk off the plane and smell DIA. It brought back tons of memories for me! I hadn't realized till then that DIA has such a unique smell. We just had time to walk from gate to gate, with a quick stop at the bathroom. Thank goodness for the moving walk ways! We got right into line to board our next flight when we got to our gate. 

We landed at Reagan National Airport around 2:50pm. We grabbed our bags and headed upstairs to the Metro station. We liked the Metro!

We made it to our Airbnb around 4pm. It was just a short block and a half walk from the metro station. We explored the house a bit, figured out where we would all sleep, and got the tv figured out. Then Annie, Ellen, James, and I walked two blocks to Safeway and bought groceries for the next few days. We weren't sure we would be able to carry it all back to the house! But, between the four of us, we made it. We ate a quick bite, and headed back to the metro station and went to Union Station where we got on a Big Bus Night Tour.

photo cred: Naomi

Big Bus Tours are all on double decker busses that have open air tops. James, Stephen, and Noah decided they wanted to sit on top. It was COLD! But they were stuck up there because all the seats inside were full. They did survive. James had said that he would rather go bear hunting than go to a big city like DC. Sitting on top of that bus was just about as cold as sitting in the tree stand while bear hunting. He managed to get both experiences all in one trip! We saw most of the major monuments all lit up.

photo cred: Naomi

photo cred: Naomi

photo cred: Ellen

Because Stephen was on the upper level of the bus, he definitely got the best photos of the evening! The following are all his!

No comments: