Monday, April 13, 2009

The Day of the Worms

Last night we got quite a bit of rain and it was pretty chilly this morning, not freezing though. As we were headed out to walk to school this morning, Stephen called for Annie to "come quick and look at this!" There were worms all over the road. Not covering it, of course, but every few feet or so was another night crawler. The kids were so excited. We had a hard time getting to school and actually ended up being a couple minutes late because everyone was so busy looking at the worms and the little paths they made in the dirt. Our neighbor, Miriam, dubbed today "The Day of the Worms." I really wish I had had my camera with me. By the time I got it outside with fresh batteries, the worms were starting to dry up and were pretty sad looking. I did find some in a couple of puddles though.

This was a great big one, probably 7 inches long. Most of the worms we saw on the street were this size.

There are 4 little baby worms in this picture.


Since there were so many worms out today, Ellen, Naomi, and I talked about worms and the letter W for our little preschool lesson today.

These are the yarn "worms" Ellen glued onto her paper.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds like fun. Great job Ellen, those are beautiful, as beautiful as worms can be :)

Jim said...

I'm proud of Ellen and Naomi for learning their letters so early in life. It will stand them in good stead when the start off to school. It may interest them to know that WORM was an old Germanic name for dragons, and even JRR Tolkein had Bilbo calling Smaug by that title as I recall.

Then there's the town of Worms (pronounced Vormps) where a great conference was held in the late middle ages (1187? Can't recall for sure) which settled lots of the problems between Churc and Kings that had been troubling Europe back then. The agreement they signed was called The Concordat of Worms. Well, I guess I've worn out that subject. I love all you guys.

Uncle Jim