Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Happy Anniversary Sweetie!

I just realized that today is August 20th and since no one else is awake yet I thought I'd take some time to blog about this day. Nine years ago today James and I got married for time and all eternity in the Denver temple. What a beautiful day it was. I know there are always things that seem to go wrong on wedding days, but I can't remember any of them from our wedding. I just remember a perfect day. I remember driving to the temple and being so excited. I remember getting ready in the beautiful Bride's Room. Then because we had a few minutes to wait, James and I were able to go sit in the Celestial Room until it was time to be sealed. And then finally it was time! It seemed like we had waited and looked forward to that time for so long. Even if one of us (me) did get a little sidetracked now and then.

And now 9 years has just flown by. I always thought of 9 years as being kind of a long time. But not so much anymore. We've been married for 9 years and so much has happened that it almost feels like a long time. Really, when I think of these last years I just get excited for the next 9, and the next, and the next until all those 9's add up to eternity. When we were engaged a few people told us that the first year of marriage is the hardest. After we got through that first year we thought, "Those people are crazy!" Sure we were finishing school, and had no money, and were adjusting to married life, but it was a great year. Now when I look back I agree with those "crazy" people. Each year of our marriage has been better than the one before, so really the first one was the hardest it was just so good we could never really call it hard.

So what have I learned so far? I need to remind myself of these things now and then. Forgiveness! Marriage (any relationship really) just doesn't work without quick and sincere forgiveness. I've also learned that it is very important to put my husband first. Sometimes it isn't possible, and sometimes it's really hard to do, but if I think of him before the kids, before my family, and before myself our marriage is strengthened, and he is more likely to do the same for me. One other thing I've learned: marriage and life are so dependant on prayer. Even if I don't specifically pray about our marriage, things are just better when I regularly and frequently pray. What else? Marriage is not perfect. It cannot be. James and I are definitely not perfect. If I don't expect marriage to be beautiful, and blissful and perfect all the time, I don't get so frustrated or discouraged when its not.

James has been so good to me. So patient and loving and supportive and just wonderful. Life is very good with him and I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for helping me find James. Thank you, James, for a wonderful 9 years. I love you.

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Congratulations to you both on NINE wonderful years! I love you both so much and loved your insightful thoughts on marriage so much as I prepare to get married myself. Thank you for sharing, Aimee. I love you Cousin dear!

Jocie said...

Can't believe it's been that long! Congratulations to you both. You have such a sweet family. I just love them all to death. When are you moving back to Saint Anthony? Just kidding. No, really! When?

Humphries said...

Congratulations! I can't believe it's already been 9yrs. I loved your insight and have found them to all be true.