Friday, November 7, 2008

5$ Well Spent

I know, it's a silly picture. But I was very grateful for this 5$ poncho today. The rainy season has arrived here in Moscow. I know in other parts of Idaho there is snow. But here in the NORTH, we get rain, rain, and more rain for about a month straight before we will get snow. If this winter is like last year the snow will stay all winter, but if it is like the previous two winters, the snow will melt within a day or two and we will get more rain with some snow scattered throughout the winter. Autumn, Uncle Jim, you have Moscow experience. What were your winters like when you were here? For today, we have rain. Cold rain, at that. And we walked to school, so I am very glad I have that lovely yellow poncho at left. Anne has a bright pink one, and Stephen has a bright blue one, although I couldn't convince him to wear it today. He rode his bike to school though, so he wouldn't have gotten quite as wet as Annie or I did. And Noah came with us. He got to ride in a nice covered stroller I borrowed from my neighbor. He was nice and dry and warm. Hooray! Now, I hope what I'm going to say doesn't sound bad, but I am really very grateful that we had to get to school in the rain today. I want the kids to know that even if something is a little difficult and a little uncomfortable they can do it. I'm afraid that my kids are going to have a little harder time at life than I have had, and I want them to know that they can do things. Maybe life will be a breeze for them. I don't really know, but I want them to be ready for anything. Already, I do know that they will have to work harder in school than I did. But I think they are up for it. They already know so much, and learn so well and so quickly. They are just wonderful kids, and I'm sure that the Lord will watch over them in whatever does come in their futures.

On to lighter subjects! Since my shoes were not covered by my wonderful poncho, they are now stuffed with newspaper drying by the heater. And thanks to James and Anne going to the grocery store last night, I don't have to go anywhere today!!!! I get to stay home and fold laundry (always) and make chocolate chip cookies. Any special occasion, you might ask? Well, yes. The missionaries are coming over tonight to talk to us about a friend of Stephen's from school. His name is Marshall. Well, Marshall and his older brother, Michael, have been taking the discussions for a while with their mom and they are thinking about baptism. The boys are. Not their mom for now. She seems to be ok with them coming to church (they've only come once so far) as long as there is someone she trusts there with them. But she doesn't know anyone in the ward. (I hope I am getting this story right. This is what I got from James who actually talked to the missionaries.) I think that this is where we come in. I did meet Marshall's Mom once, but it was at Marshall's birthday party and there were lots of other parents and kids, so I don't know that she would really remember me. We'll get more details tonight. I sure am glad that Stephen and Marshall are friends!

3 comments:

Chaney said...

Yea for friends who share the gospel! I'm grateful that Stephen is friends with Marshall, it's amazing how the example of a friend can make it A LOT easier to join the church.

Autumn said...

That is super neat about Stephen's friend and family. Keep us posted, will you?

As for how I remember Moscow winters...pretty much exactly as you described them actually. Rain, rain and then more rain. About January or February it becomes beastly cold, but then dissolves back into rain within another month or two after that. It was the closest I ever came to liking Winter. I just cannot do cold weather for some reason, but the Moscow rain (even the chilly kind up there) was so much more mild than crazy S.E. Idaho Winters that I somehow muddled through.

Jim said...

Yes, the winters are generally milder as to temperature in Moscow, but I recall lots of deep, wet snow. It was more of a classic four season life up there. Here in SE Idaho, especially from IF on up, it's about 7 months of winter and all three of the other seasons squeezed into 5 months. I remember tramping th rough some deep stuff at mignight with Clark Myers when we went out in the hills to call coyotes. An old coyote came to the call, but he heard the rustle of my old USAF field jacket and was gone. He didn't seem to run, just dissolve!

Way to go, Stephen! A missionary already and you don't even have the Priesthood yet. I'll bet everyone is proud of you.