Thursday, November 13, 2008

Make Way For Ducklings


Make Way For Ducklings, by Robert McCloskey, was my favorite book as a kid, and is still is one of my favorites. It is a classic. I think that everyone has probably read this book and we do read it about once a week, so I had to put something up about it. It was originally published in 1941 and recieved the Caldecott Medal in 1942. The illustrations are wonderful! They are all one color, brown, but so beautiful and full of detail! Here is one of my favorites.


The story takes place in Boston, much of it in the Public Garden, as Mr. and Mrs. Mallard search for and finally locate the perfect place to raise ducklings. There really is a Public Garden in Boston and it really does have Swan Boats. There is even a bronze sculpture of Mrs. Mallard and her eight ducklings. If I ever make it to Boston, you can be sure I will visit the Public Garden.

1 comment:

nanajohanna said...

Oh sweetie, Dad and I went to Boston several years ago, in April. If I ever go again I'll wait until May, when they put the swan boats out for the season, we didn't get to see them. And the day we were there it was windy and cold; a tree blew down and broke off part of the mother duck. I'm sure they repaired her right away, but I've never quite recovered from our trip to Boston, because I'm like you and really love that book!