Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Time

We had a very nice Christmas-filled weekend. On Saturday some friends of ours watched all five kids and James and I got to go do some much needed Christmas shopping. We're still not quite ready, but much closer than we were. Hooray! While we were shopping at the mall (can you believe James actually set foot in the mall? I was a little surprised myself.) we stopped to listen to a string ensemble. We have no idea who they were, but they were very good and were playing "real" Christmas music, as James called it. Songs about the birth of Christ. It was very nice to hear that in the middle of the busy mall.

That night we went to our ward's Christmas Party and had a very good time. They tried to do things a little differently this year. We started with a 20 min. program in the chapel which included some congregational singing. Always very nice. Then we all moved into the gym where the tables were set "family style." No great long line at the food table. The dishes of food were sitting on the tables and we all just passed the food around. It was wonderful!!! Not only did we NOT have to stand in line and try to juggle plates and children, we got to have better conversations with the people sitting at our table. I really hope they do this again! Then of course after dessert everyone heard a strange jingle noise coming from the stage. Santa was there and then we did have to wait in a long line, but the kids really thought it was worth it. Stephen even sat on Santa's lap, even though he has now become wise to such things. He is 8 after all. He had heard things from kids in his class and was starting to ask questions and we decided we better just tell him ourselves. However, we did sweeten the deal by offering to let him be an elf this year. Oh my, is he excited about that. He will have to go to bed and go to sleep before we bring out any of his things though. He's not that old yet!

3 comments:

Chaney said...

Thanks for the idea about what to do with the "knowing" it's not true. I think KatieJo is on the verge, but we may have 1 year left...I hope. They wrote letters to Santa at school (which weren't sent home) and so when I asked them if they wanted to write letters they cheerfully said that they already had. Kind of made my job a little harder, but I did call and ask for copies of the letter.

Jim said...

Way to go, Aimee, Honey! It's about time you got that old fuddy-duddy James out of the h ouse and down to the mall where he can spend some of that big money that brilliant electrical-type folks get paid. And if he wants to stop at the gun shop on the way home, I know that you'll be kind, patient, and understanding. ;)
Uncle Jim

Rachel and Tyler said...

I know it's just a matter of time before Andrew figures things out, but I wonder how long it will really take. He is like me, I think. He believes in magic (to a degree) and is always a little disappionted to find out that some things are just "made up." I remember feeling so embarrassed when I found out Santa wasn't real - and a little hurt, like my innocence had been taken advantage of. I'm afraid he will feel the same way when the time comes. I'm fairly certain that Andrew will break the horrible news to Katherine as soon as he finds out so I'm not in a hurry to disillision him...
The String ensemble sounded nice - wish I could have been there too.