Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Traditions

Today for wordfull wednesday I've chosen my own topic: Christmas Traditions. There is one in particular that I don't carry on any more, but I enjoyed it quite a bit in my younger days. Every Christmas morning I used to wake up VERY early. 4am kind of early. I didn't set my alarm or anything, I just woke up and would come out to the tree. It was a very exciting feeling. Knowing that I was up, but no one else was. I would go sit in the glow of the lights on the Christmas tree and look over my stocking. I wasn't feeling greedy. I didn't take everything out, just looked at the top little bit. Mostly I just liked being there with the pretty lights and the quiet. As hard as I tried to be quiet, though, my Dad would always hear me and tell me to go back to bed. I'd stay there for a little while, but just couldn't keep myself away. Eventually (around 5:30) I'd get up again and this time I would end up waking my brothers and everyone else and we would finally go through our stockings and open presents.

As I got older and continued to get up terribly early, Dad decided he should do something about this habit of mine. I think it really started when we lived in Denver. (yes, I was in high school and still doing this!) I came up the stairs early Christmas morning to discover that my path to the Christmas tree was covered with newspapers! There was no way I could walk through all that and not be loud. So I very quietly and patiently began moving sheets of newspaper one at a time and I made it to the tree. The next year Dad put a tripwire that was attached to an alarm at the top of the stairs. I got really lucky that year and felt the wire with my foot instead of walking through it, so I just stepped over the wire and happily went to the tree. The year after that, however, I got caught. I cautiously came up the stairs, looking for anything fishy, but didn't see anything. As soon as I set foot in the living room an alarm went off! Dad had set up a motion sensor! Oh man, did I hurry back down those stairs. As I got back into bed I heard the alarm shut off. I waited for what felt like hours, but was probably only 5 minutes, before getting back out of bed. I went up the stairs, crawled through the kitchen, then lay on my belly just inside the kitchen looking into the living room. There was a couch just to the left of the doorway and as I looked behind it I noticed a cord plugged into the socket that wasn't usually there. I reached back and unplugged the cord and hoped that would do the trick. Then I slowly crawled into the living room. So far, so good. No alarms were going off. I stood up and realized that I had made it. I couldn't keep myself from laughing as I sat there that early morning. Ah, the satisfaction!

I have long since given up my early morning escapades. Oh, the things growing up does to you. But, this year Stephen keeps saying he'll be getting up at 5:00 Christmas morning. I can't help but hope he does and does it every year so that I can be the one to set the traps! Lucky for me, I have a husband who is quite resourceful, and a Dad with plenty of creativity and experience. May the fun continue.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

You're so cute Aimee!!!

Autumn said...

Wait--Whaaaaaat?! You did something rebelious and even a tinsy bit naughty--and you did it religiously and with satisfaction?!?! I think I need to sit down and mull this over for a minute. I am SHOCKED at your behavior, Aimee. Hee hee hee hee hee! This is great! I serisouly never knew there was this silly side to you and once I get over my awe, I think I am going to really, really like this! HA! Merry Christmas, Cousin!!!!!! I love you.

Humphries said...

I love it! I have still yet to outgrow getting up super early on Christmas morning, there is just something so exciting and peaceful about looking at the tree in the stillness of the early morning. Ben has been teasing me all night that I am going to be up before Joseph tomorrow. I guess well just have to wait and see.... Merry Christmas! We love you and miss you all so very much.

Jim said...

Great little article, Aimee! I loved reading it and imagining each little escapade. I'll bet your dad loved it, too.

Now, as to setting traps with James's help, you might want to be careful. James knows about REAL electrical power, and I wouldn't want you to find Stephen stuck to the ceiling all fried and blackened with his hair out on end and his eyes permanently opened. That's the sort of this that might have a deleterious effect on a fellow's love of Christmas.
Love,
Uncle Jim

Jocie said...

I've heard the stories before, but I loved hearing them again. Have a Merry Christmas!