Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Puzzles

The kids and I (except for Noah) all got puzzles from Santa this year. Annie and Ellen's each have 100 pieces. Ellen still hasn't tried hers (I think she just keeps forgetting about it), but Annie put hers together right away and did really well. After she knew to get all the edge pieces put together first, she just took off. She even got a little frustrated with me when I tried to help with a couple of pieces. Stephen started his right away too. His has 300 pieces and they are a bit smaller. After we got the edge done on his he wasn't so interested anymore, but would come do a little bit with me now and then. And he really liked the finished product. Later that day the kids asked me how many pieces my puzzle has, and were amazed that it could have 1000. This is my puzzle! My very own Charles Wysocki. Santa actually let me pick it out.
Last night I finally cleared a space on my sewing/crafting table in the laundry room and started it. The laundry room is not the most exciting place to sit and work on a puzzle, but it means that I can leave it there until I get it all done. Even if it takes me a month. Last night I got the edge all done.
And since the flag was right there, and is always so easy to find, I did that too. It has been so long since I actually worked on a big puzzle like this. I am really enjoying it. The only way it could be better, would be to have some help from some puzzle-doing family members. I couldn't help but think back on many happy times I spent working on puzzles with my Mom, sisters, cousins, aunts, Gran, and anyone else who happened to walk by and place a piece.



9 comments:

Hannah said...

If I were there, I would love to help you with it!! I have been in a puzzle doing mood lately, but like you, I mostly have to do them by myself. Not as much fun. Good luck with yours!

Autumn said...

Aaaw! I love doing puzzles with you and Gran and the rest of the Clan. Gran and I used to try to complete a puzzle each time I visited. Sometimes we'd be up to the wee hours making sure it was finished before I had to go--or really just because we couldn't seem to call it quits once we got going, let's be honest. We really do have wonderful puzzle-loving family members. I am so glad you are continuing the family tradition of puzzles, Aimee. Makes me want to do one myself. Wanna come over??!!

CK Rock said...

My in-laws have a Christmas puzzle tradition as well. I usually help out if I'm there. I really like puzzles until you get to the last patch of pieces that are all the same color. Then it's kind of a pain.

Heidi said...

Aimee, you made me cry. I have so many memories of Christmas and New Years family gatherings where Gran had some 1000+ piece puzzle out and everyone would work on it off and on. I never lasted long and did not enjoy it much at the time. But looking back on it now,those are some of my fondest memories. Oh, how I miss being a child some times. I told Kevin I want a Charles Wysocki puzzle. Thanks for taking me back in time Aimee. Love you. Happy New Years!!!

Humphries said...

I love puzzles and would love to help you put yours together. It has been so long since I have done one, maybe i'll pull one out tonight and see how far I can get. Happy New Year!! Love ya

Cortney said...

I love puzzles. Unfortunately Alexandra will not leave them alone, so I'm stuck not doing any till she's bigger or until I find a "safe" spot. It's awesome that you were doing the puzzles with the kids. They will have great memories!

Jim said...

Aimee, Honey,

I was terribly puzzled by this whole post.

Uncle Jim

Rachel and Tyler said...

Wouldn't it be fun to sit down together for a day or two and work on jigsaw puzzles. I can't remember the last time I put one together. We used to get puzzles every Christmas too, and I loved working on them over Christmas break. I wonder why I haven't tried to reinstate that tradition??

nanajohanna said...

It makes me so happy that you remember doing puzzles, and that it means so much to you. I loved those times too.