Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Carols

For today's Wordful Wednesday from Chocolate on My Cranium, I'm supposed to write about my favorite Christmas carol. But I have two. If you ask me which carol I would like to sing or play on the piano, it would be Angels We Have Heard On High. The words were based on a French carol and was translated into English in 1862 by James Chadwick. The words really help me envision the excitement that was felt when Christ was born. I love the chorus! It is so fun to sing or play! I had never played it until I was a freshman in high school and my seminary teacher asked me to play it. Thankfully he gave me a few days to practice. Ever since then, I've totally loved this carol.

If you ask me what I want to listen to at Christmas time, I will choose White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby. It was written by Irving Berlin in 1940 while he was sitting next to a swimming pool in Arizona. It has been recorded by everyone from Bob Marley to the Crash Test Dummies to Alan Jackson. But Bing Crosby is by far the best. His Christmas album entitled White Christmas was one of the first cd's our family bought after we got our first cd player. We played it every year while we decorated our Christmas tree, Christmas Eve, Christmas morning and just as much as we possibly could during the Christmas season. To me it is an essential part of celebrating Christmas.

13 comments:

Becky said...

When I did a Christmas music meme a few weeks ago, I went so far as to say I think Bing Crosby is the only one who should sing this song. ;)
It's one of my favorites, too.

Allison said...

One of my favorite musicals of all time is "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby. I'm never satisfied when someone other than Bing sings it.

Montserrat said...

My sister and I loved singing the harmony parts of Angels We Have Heard on High when we were teenagers. Brings back so many memories!

We love the movie White Christmas! My girls love singing "Sisters."

MaryAnne said...

I love Bing Crosby's rendition of "White Christmas"!

Sea Star said...

It is funny I had never seen the movie White Christmas until just a few years ago when my husband introduced it to me one Christmas. I grew up watching old classic movies and don't know how I missed this one. In my house we watched the movie "Holiday Inn" which is where Bing Crosby first sung White Christmas. It also has Fred Astaire singing and dancing in the film as well. We watch this film every year around Christmas and News Years. It is a fun review of the year and its holidays

crabapple farm said...

We love Ba ba ba bing at our house! Do you like the old movie, High Society, with him and Grace Kelly and Frankie, etc.??? Classic.

James and Aimee said...

I love just about every Bing Crosby movie out there. I can't think of one I don't like. Holiday Inn, White Christmas, High Society have all been mentioned. (I think my favorite part of High Society is when Bing and Frank Sinatra escape the party and end up singing "What a Swell Party This Is." Cracks me up!) My Mom gave me The Bells of St. Maries for my birthday and we have all enjoyed that one. It is quite appropriate for Christmas. Then there's also Going My Way, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, all the Road shows with Bob Hope. That's what comes from the top of my head. Anything else?

Autumn said...

I just watched "White Christmas" in the last week or so. I have been on a kick this month trying to watch all the good old classics we were raised on: The Lemon Drop Kid, We're No Angels; White Christmas; Scrooge and even a few of the newer classics, too.

I am with you 100% on all things Bing and also on the Christmas Carols you chose as favorite.

Another favorite thing I love at the Holidays is singing alto to your soprano!! I miss singing all these special songs with you, Cousin!! Love you!!

Mommily said...

I thought it was interesting that "White Christmas" was written in Arizonia. I remember when we lived in Arizonia dreaming of a white Chrismas!

kjha said...

I still have to watch this this year! It's a staple!

LoraBelieves said...

Funny, I didn't know "White Christmas" was a movie either. I love classic movies, too. I'm going to check my library. Thanks for the tip.

Jim said...

Growing up in the fifties, I got the impression that Bing's recording of that particular song was part of the definition of the true Christmas experience. Even as a tiny child I seem to recall going into a kind of trance whenever it was played. Like so many of the things which we associate with our early childhood, this piece evokes powerful feelings rather than actual visual memories. It is said that the sense of smell is the most evocative sense for recollection. Surely music must come in as a close second. And when the two are combined! It seems as if one has actually experienced time travel. The smell of my grandmama's clean kitchen combined wih the laughter of familiar voices is the definition of security and happiness in my childish heart.

Anonymous said...

Last night at my orchestra concert, we played Christmas movie music, and our conductor mentioned that while only about 30% of the USA usually gets a white Christmas, that's what we envision because of all those old great classic Christmas movies. It's always snowing, even though they were made in Hollywood on a sound stage and the snow was fake.