Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Wacky Weather and Good Neighbors

By Saturday morning after Christmas we had close to 3 feet of snow. James took the 4 biggest kids sledding Saturday afternoon. The picture above is them all ready to go and being a little goofy too. While they were out sledding, it started to rain. And not just a little bit. It was a good steady rain. On top of 3 feet of snow. Did that dampen the sledders? Oh no! They stayed out sledding for almost three hours and had a great time. Of course when they came back we had to have some very yummy hot chocolate (Thanks Hannah!) to warm everyone up.

Later in the afternoon our wonderful neighbor, Mr. Cook, came over with his tractor to clear out our driveway. Our little culdesac would have been in very sad shape without the great kindess of Mr. Cook. The picture above was taken at 4:30 in the afternoon. The sun has been setting here around 3:30. I'm so thankful we don't live in Alaska! After more rain on Sunday our snow level had gone down about a foot and there was slush everywhere. But Monday morning we woke up to 4 new inches of snow on top of all that frozen slush. So lovely. Today is the first day in quite a while we haven't had any precipitation. The sun even shone for most of the day!

5 comments:

Hannah said...

Wow, I need a tractor to clear my driveway!! What a sweet neighbor to do that for you. I'm glad you kids got to go sledding. I look forward to the day when I can take Orion.

Humphries said...

What a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. We haven't tried sledding yet with Joseph, maybe next year since we didn't get much snow this year. What a wonderful and creative neighbor you have. The kids look great!

Chaney said...

I want to go sledding! We have snow, but it has blown off of the hills...maybe we could sled down the snow piles!

Heidi said...

Kevin and I were just saying how we wish we could live near you guys. I wish Luke could go sledding and play with your kids. We miss you guys a lot.

And that is some crazy weather you are having. We have pretty much no snow here.

Autumn said...

That picture of the kids is GREAT! I would love a copy of that to frame and hang up. What beautiful and fun little faces, Aimee. I just can't say enough about that picture--Love it!!

I can't believe your neighbor has his own tractor. California weather is beginning to make me forget these things. I CAN believe that Moscow weather though. That precipitation is pretty spectacular up there. Isn't it interesting about the sun really going down so much sooner, too? I remember being pretty awed by that when I lived up there. That, and feeling like I was taking night classes as I would skirt about the campus at U of I. :)